Thursday, October 20, 2011

The Light of the Sun

 In the wake of the digital age and auto-tuning (I'm guilty) it's refreshing to go see an artist perform live and get a better performance than the recording.
Jill Scott brought the sun to shine on a rainy night in Newark with her "Light of the Sun" tour. With 8 albums under her belt and a string of hits like "A Long Walk," "Golden," and "Hate On Me,"  Ms. Scott has something to offer everyone.

Ms. Scott's music is some of the most emotional and heartfelt music being produced these days. "I'm a storyteller first!" she confessed. "Most of my songs are 97% true." she joked.
The Light Of The Sun album touches on the loss of her baby's father while still pregnant which produced the painful yet healing song "Hear My Call."  Then falling into the trap that many of us go through on "So Gone (What My Mind Says) she deals with the catch-22 of a former lovers "diamond chip dick" *not my words*
Singing through most of her catalogue with an all male band and three male back up singers. I could not help but notice that Ms. Scott is a woman  who is in control and definitely not afraid to show that she is running thangs. She own her flaws and admits to not having it all as most people might assume she does.
Yet she remains "Blessed" as she sings "Woke up feeling fresh to def, I'm so blessed."
That's why we love her. Jill Scott has been through the pains of life and remains optimistic about what tomorrow may bring and keeps that faith so that we can bask in the light.


No comments:

Post a Comment